Comfrey contains compounds that are toxic to the liver and animal experiments suggest it can cause liver cancer. Comfrey has been confused with foxglove, a poisonous plant with similar leaves
And now for the solution you’ve been waiting for. A collection of relevant questions and answers that you may require on occasion.
Does comfrey cause cancer? – Here are all the useful methods
Why did FDA ban comfrey?The pyrrolizidine alkaloids in comfrey can cause severe liver damage, liver cancer, mutagenicity, and even death. [8,9] For this reason, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has banned the sale of oral comfrey products in the United States
Is comfrey safe to use topically?Comfrey has toxic substances that can cause severe liver damage and even death. You should never take comfrey by mouth. The toxic substances in comfrey can be absorbed by the skin. Even creams and ointments should be used for only a short time, and only under a doctor’s supervision.
What are the side effects of comfrey?Common side effects of comfrey include:
- abdominal distension.
- abdominal pain.
- loss of appetite.
- lack of energy.
- liver enlargement.
- decreased urine output.
- obstruction of small veins in the liver (veno-occlusive disease)
Is comfrey FDA approved?a cancer-causing agent. The US Food and Drug Administration on Friday asked makers of dietary supplements containing the herb comfrey to withdraw their products due to the danger of liver damage and its possible role as a cancer-causing agent
Is comfrey good for inflammation?The roots of leaves of the comfrey plant contain chemical substances called allantoin and rosmarinic acid. Allantoin boosts the growth of new skin cells, while rosmarinic acid helps relieve pain and inflammation.
Should I plant comfrey in my garden?Ecological Benefits of Growing Comfrey
Provides habitat for beneficial insects under huge leaves, which helps to keep the garden pest-free. Fertilizes with nutrient-rich mulch. Use the fast-growing leaves as a fertilizing green mulch or green manure.
What does comfrey do for skin?Overall, comfrey is beneficial to all skin types; it helps to moisturise and soothe dry irritated skin, promotes rapid skin-cell growth, contributes to skin renewal, protects against bacteria and other microorganisms, reduces inflammation and helps to keep skin healthy.
Is comfrey good for joints?The Claim: Lotion made from the flowering comfrey plant is a natural way to ease muscle and joint pain. The Verdict: Several scientific studies suggest comfrey is effective for back pain, ankle sprains and knee osteoarthritis. One study even found it hastened healing of abrasions.
Is comfrey toxic?However, comfrey also contains several pyrrolizidine alkaloids (symphytine, echimidine, symglandine and lycopsamine) which are toxic and capable of causing sinusoidal obstruction syndrome (previously called veno-occlusive disease) and severe liver injury.
What does comfrey do for the skin?Comfrey is considered to be an essential anti-aging ingredient, because it contains both allantoin and rosmarinic acid. Allantoin promotes the growth of new skin cells and rosmarinic acid acts as a painkiller and reduces inflammation. Comfrey softens skin and reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
Is comfrey good for arthritis pain?Comfrey herb has also been shown to be efficacious in wound healing. Comfrey root has also proven to be efficacious in activated osteoarthritis, and equivalent or more efficacious in distortions compared with topical diclofenac.
Does comfrey help with knee pain?Conclusion. Both active topical comfrey formulations were effective in relieving pain and stiffness and in improving physical functioning and were superior to placebo in those with primary osteoarthritis of the knee without serious adverse effects.
Does comfrey grow hair?It is the backbone of the soothing and anti-inflammatory component of comfrey and actually makes hair softer. Comfrey is helpful for hair growth because it has gamma linoleic acid, a omega-6 fatty acid, that helps stimulate skin and hair growth, which is why many cosmetic companies use comfrey.
Explore Does comfrey cause cancer? with tags: Is comfrey really toxic, Comfrey tea benefits, Comfrey uses in the garden, Comfrey for skin, What is comfrey oil used for, Comfrey for broken bones, Comfrey medicinal uses, Is comfrey poisonous to animals
Great posts about Does comfrey cause cancer?
Comfrey – Cancer Care of Western New York
- Summary: Cancer Care of Western New YorkReferences Koll R, Buhr M, Dieter R et al. Efficacy and tolerance of a comfrey root extract (Extr. Rad. Symphyti) in the treatment of ankle distorsions: results of a multicenter, randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind study. Phytomedicine. 2004;11:470–7. Kucera M, Barna M, Horacek O, et al. Efficacy and safety of topically applied Symphytum herb extract cream in the treatment of ankle distortion: results of…
- Rating: 2.66 ⭐
- Source: https://www.cancercarewny.com/content.aspx?chunkiid=104671
Comfrey: Uses, Risks, and Takeaways – Healthline
- Summary: Comfrey: Uses, Risks, and TakeawaysComfrey is a shrub that grows in parts of Europe, Asia, and North America. It can grow up to 5 feet tall. It produces clusters of purple, blue, and white flowers, and it’s famous for its long, slender leaves and black-skinned roots.The root and leaves of the comfrey plant have been used in traditional medicine in many parts of the world. In Japan,…
- Rating: 1.18 ⭐
- Source: https://www.healthline.com/health/what-is-comfrey
COMFREY – Uses, Side Effects, and More – WebMD
- Summary: COMFREY: Overview, Uses, Side Effects, Precautions, Interactions, Dosing and ReviewsComfrey is a plant. Even though this plant contains poisonous chemicals called pyrrolizidine alkaloids (PAs), some people use the leaf, root, and root-like stem (rhizome) to make medicine. Despite safety concerns, comfrey is used by mouth for stomach ulcers, heavy menstrual periods, diarrhea, bloody urine, cough, bronchitis, cancer, and chest pain (angina). It is…
- Rating: 3.91 ⭐
- Source: https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-295/comfrey
Comfrey: Health Benefits, Side Effects, Uses, Dose … – RxList
- Summary: Comfrey: Health Benefits, Side Effects, Uses, Dose & Precautions Abbott, P. J. Comfrey: assessing the low-dose health risk. Med.J.Aust. 12-5-1988;149(11-12):678-682. View abstract. Aftab, K., Shaheen, F., Mohammad, F. V., Noorwala, M., and Ahmad, V. U. Phyto-pharmacology of saponins from Symphytum officinale L. Adv Exp Med Biol 1996;404:429-442. View abstract. Ahmad, V. U., Noorwala, M., Mohammad, F. V., and Sener, B. A new triterpene glycoside from…
- Rating: 2.32 ⭐
- Source: https://www.rxlist.com/comfrey/supplements.htm
Comfrey Information | Mount Sinai – New York
- Summary: Comfrey Knitbone; Symphytum officinale Comfrey (Symphytum officinale) is sometimes used on the skin to treat wounds and reduce inflammation from sprains and broken bones. Comfrey roots and leaves contain allantoin, a substance that helps new skin cells grow, along with other substances that reduce inflammation and keep skin healthy. Comfrey ointments have been used to heal bruises as well as pulled muscles and ligaments, fractures, sprains, strains,…
- Rating: 1.93 ⭐
- Source: https://www.mountsinai.org/health-library/herb/comfrey
Comfrey – please don't use it – The Herbal Horse and Pet
- Summary: Comfrey – please don’t use it Even today, years after pyrrolizidine alkaloids were found and identified in Comfrey (aka Symphytum officinale), herbalists continue to recommend its use. A few years ago, after I had commented on an online site about the dangers of using Comfrey, a well-known animal herbalist called me on the phone. “Comfrey isn’t dangerous”, she told me. “It is just…
- Rating: 3.44 ⭐
- Source: https://www.horseandpethealth.com/horse-health/comfrey-please-dont-use-it/
- Summary: FDA bans sale of comfrey herbThe US Food and Drug Administration on Friday asked makers of dietary supplements containing the herb comfrey to withdraw their products due to the danger of liver damage and its possible role as a cancer-causing agent. In a letter to industry groups representing herbal product makers, the FDA said it was aware of dietary supplements derived from three types…
- Rating: 3.83 ⭐
- Source: https://www.foodnavigator.com/Article/2001/07/09/FDA-bans-sale-of-comfrey-herb
Comfrey – an overview | ScienceDirect Topics
- Summary: Comfrey – an overview | ScienceDirect TopicsBoraginaceaeJ.K. Aronson MA, DPhil, MBChB, FRCP, HonFBPhS, HonFFPM, in Meyler’s Side Effects of Drugs, 2016Symphytum officinaleSymphytum officinale (black wort, boneset, bruise wort, comfrey, knitback, knitbone, slippery root) contains pyrrolizidine alkaloids, such as lasiocarpine and symphytine, and their N-oxides, and has repeatedly been associated with hepatotoxicity.Comfrey products have been withdrawn from the market in several countries, including the USA and the…
- Rating: 2.3 ⭐
- Source: https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/pharmacology-toxicology-and-pharmaceutical-science/comfrey
The efficacy and safety of comfrey | Public Health Nutrition
- Summary: The efficacy and safety of comfrey | Public Health Nutrition | Cambridge CoreAbstract HTML view is not available for this content. However, as you have access to this content, a full PDF is available via the ‘Save PDF’ action button. Herbal medication has gathered increasing recognition in recent years with regard to both treatment options and health hazards. Pyrrolizidine alkaloids have been associated with substantial toxicity after their ingestion as…
- Rating: 1.3 ⭐
- Source: https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/public-health-nutrition/article/efficacy-and-safety-of-comfrey/50C49FEFA056383BD2298CA9184CEE74
Comfrey Tea Benefits and Side Effects – Verywell Fit
- Summary: Comfrey Tea Benefits and Side Effects Comfrey tea is an herbal tea with a long history of use. However, comfrey leaf and comfrey root products have raised concerns with health agencies because comfrey contains chemicals called pyrrolizidine alkaloids (PAs) that may be harmful. For this reason, it is smart to be cautious when drinking comfrey tea or using other comfrey products. What Is Comfrey Tea?…
- Rating: 5 ⭐
- Source: https://www.verywellfit.com/comfrey-tea-benefits-and-side-effects-4163901