In some states in the US, including North Carolina, it’s perfectly legal to own an animal as endangered and exotic as a lemur. In fact, there are an estimated 15,000 pet primates in the United States, and purchasing one is relatively easy: a couple thousand dollars and a trip to an online pet store is all it takes.
And now for the solution you’ve been waiting for. A collection of relevant questions and answers that you may require on occasion.
Is it legal to own a ring tailed lemur? – All you need to know
Can you have a pet ring tailed lemur?Lemurs are wild animals and they retain their wild instincts. They are not domesticated and they make highly inappropriate pets.
How much do ring tailed lemurs cost?between $2,500 and $10,000
What states can you own a lemur?Keeping lemurs is allowed in certain states of the USA: Alabama, Arkansas, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Maryland, Minnesota, Missouri (illegal in St. Louis), Montana, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia and Wisconsin (no guarantee).
Why are lemurs illegal?Purchasing lemurs promotes illegal trafficking of wild animals. Private owners may breed pet lemurs to sell for financial gain, but the continued demand for pet primates fuels illegal capture and trade of these animals from the wild. This threatens wild populations and the survival of entire species.
Do pet lemurs stink?Lemurs are stinky
If you’re not turned off by the price tag, you should know this: lemurs stink. Most species of lemur communicate through scent marking. Ring-tailed lemurs are one of the more sought-after species for ownership.
Are lemurs poisonous?Lemurs are not toxic.
The only primate known to be poisonous is the slow loris, which secrets a toxin from its arm and licks it to make its bite toxic.
How much is a tiger?Purchasing a Tiger
According to Big Cat Rescue, a tiger cub is at the top of the price range for exotic cats, at around $7,500.
Can a lemur hurt you?Lemurs can injure people.
Although lemurs look cute and cuddly, they can (and will) bite and scratch, and can cause serious harm and injury to their human caretakers.
Do lemurs smell bad?The odor is ?quite pungent and musky,? said Rachel Harris, who conducted the research as a postdoctoral associate in evolutionary anthropology at Duke.
What animal has 2 tongues?Lemurs have a second tongue?called the ?sublingua??that is used to remove debris from the tooth comb. The sublingua is smaller than the primary tongue, sits below it and lacks taste buds.
What animal has the sharpest tongue?The tiger’s tongue is covered with numerous small, sharp, rear-facing projections called papillae. These papillae give the tongue its rough, rasping texture and is designed to help strip the skin, feathers, fur and meat right off its prey.
What animal has longest tongue?The giant anteater (Myrmecophaga tridactyla) of Latin America can extend its tongue at least 45 centimetres (1 foot 5 inches) outside its mouth, and there are reports of it reaching as long as 61 centimetres (2 feet).
Explore Is it legal to own a ring tailed lemur? with tags: How much does a lemur cost, Ring-tailed lemur for sale, Can you have a lemur as a pet, Lemurs for sale, Are lemurs aggressive to other animals, Can you have a lemur as a pet in Texas, Can you have a mouse lemur as a pet, Can you have a lemur as a pet in Florida
Great posts about Is it legal to own a ring tailed lemur?
In Which Countries Can People Keep Lemurs as Pets?
- Summary: In Which Countries Can People Keep Lemurs as Pets? There are countries where lemurs are allowed to be kept as pets. Find out what countries they are here. Countless laws regulate the ownership of exotic and/or wild animals. Not every country has the same laws. So, keeping lemurs as pets is allowed in some countries and illegal in others. Official List of All Countries There isn’t an official list…
- Rating: 3.74 ⭐
- Source: https://www.animalfunfacts.net/knowledge/354-in-which-countries-can-people-keep-lemurs-as-pets.html
Want a Pet Lemur? What You Need to Know First
- Summary: Want a Pet Lemur? What You Need to Know First This post may include affiliate links, including Amazon Associate links. We may earn money if you click on one at no extra cost to you.If you’re considering getting a pet lemur, read this first. I often hear “So cute – I want it!” and “Where can I buy a lemur?” I get it. Lemurs are adorable,…
- Rating: 2.78 ⭐
- Source: https://primateconnection.com/pet-lemur/
Which Exotic Pets Are Legal in the United States? – PetHelpful
- Summary: Which Exotic Pets Are Legal in the United States?Melissa cares for a variety of exotic animals and has completed a certificate in veterinary assisting and a bachelor’s degree in biology.Regulations for exotic pets, such as this serval, vary from state to state.Image by veverkolog from PixabayWhich exotic pets are legal in the United States? The better question is which exotic pets…
- Rating: 4.94 ⭐
- Source: https://pethelpful.com/exotic-pets/Where-are-Exotic-Pets-Legal
Ring-Tailed Lemurs Threatened by Illegal Pet Trade
- Summary: Ring-Tailed Lemurs Threatened by Illegal Pet Trade Some restaurant owners keep a tank of exotic fish to attract and entertain their customers. In Madagascar, patrons are more likely to see a live lemur chained to the wall. Private ownership of lemurs is against the law in Madagascar—the only island where the primates are found—but that doesn’t stop people from snatching the animals from the…
- Rating: 1.1 ⭐
- Source: https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/extinction-countdown/ring-tailed-lemurs-pet-trade/
Illegal animals | Washington State Department of Agriculture
- Summary: Illegal animals | Washington State Department of Agriculture Many animals are illegal to own, transport, and import into Washington State. There are several state agencies that regulate animal ownership. Please contact the agency listed in the law to request more information about that law. Rabies law It is illegal to own animals that may infect people with rabies. For questions concerning the rabies law please visit the Department…
- Rating: 4 ⭐
- Source: https://agr.wa.gov/departments/animals-livestock-and-pets/animal-health/import-requirements/illegal-animals
Lemurs Are Inappropriate Pets
- Summary: Lemurs Are Inappropriate Pets The Lemur Conservation Foundation is often asked whether or not lemurs make good pets. Based on information from our conservation partners and the scientific community, LCF does not support lemurs as pets. We are pleased to share the reasons why primates do not make appropriate pets. Numerous scientific organizations oppose pet primates 98% of over 100…
- Rating: 2.74 ⭐
- Source: https://www.lemurreserve.org/lemurs/lemurs-are-inappropriate-pets/
Exotic Animal Laws by State – FindLaw
- Summary: Exotic Animal Laws by State – FindLawPerhaps you’ve always wanted to own a pet monkey, or you’re wondering whether it’s legal for your neighbor to have that cougar in his backyard. Fortunately for your curiosity, every state has exotic animal laws which allow, restrict, or prohibit ownership of certain types of animals. The following article describes some of these state laws in more detail. Prohibited and…
- Rating: 2.75 ⭐
- Source: https://www.findlaw.com/injury/torts-and-personal-injuries/exotic-animal-laws-by-state.html
Keeping lemurs as pets is bad for both people and lemurs
- Summary: Keeping lemurs as pets is bad for both people and lemurs – Lemur Conservation Network Keeping lemurs as pets is bad for both people and lemurs The pet trade is one of the biggest threats to all wild animals. By definition, wild animals are, well…wild! Wild species have not been domesticated to be human companions, like dogs and cats, or to help humans with agriculture,…
- Rating: 2.78 ⭐
- Source: https://www.lemurconservationnetwork.org/learn/conservation-threats-and-solutions-for-lemurs/poaching-lemurs/dangers-of-keeping-lemurs-as-pets/
State Laws: Private Possession of Exotic Animals
- Summary: State Laws: Private Possession of Exotic Animals | Born Free USA Summary of State Laws Relating to Private Possession of Exotic Animals The sale and possession of exotic animals in the United States is regulated by a patchwork of federal, state, and local laws that generally vary by community and by animal. Born Free USA believes that wild animals belong in…
- Rating: 1.26 ⭐
- Source: https://www.bornfreeusa.org/campaigns/animals-in-captivity/summary-state-laws-exotic-animals/
Pets Banned in Every State – Stacker
- Summary: Pets banned in every state Owner beware: Your pet mongoose is not welcome here. Exotic animal ownership requires not only a willingness to care for unusual animals, but an understanding of the laws that regulate wildlife in particular states. Laws vary widely across the country, but all are designed with the intent to protect public health and safety from animals considered to be inherently dangerous. Banned animals range…
- Rating: 4.29 ⭐
- Source: https://stacker.com/stories/444/pets-banned-every-state
Wild Animals/Exotics – Georgia DNR Law Enforcement Division
- Summary: Wild Animals/Exotics | Department Of Natural Resources Division The animals listed below are examples of the exotic species regulated under Georgia Law. The Department should be consulted before any exotic animals which are not normally domesticated in Georgia are acquired. Hybrids or crosses between any combination of domestic animals, wildlife, or regulated wild animals and all subsequent generations are regulated in Georgia and…
- Rating: 1.42 ⭐
- Source: https://gadnrle.org/exotics
Laws on Exotic Animals for Each State – The Spruce Pets
- Summary: Check out State Laws on Exotic Animals Before Getting Your Exotic Pet Every state has laws that determine what kind of animals can be kept as pets. These laws can change at any time and over the years, many states have added to their list of prohibited animals. Game and fish commissions, departments of fish and wildlife or conservation, and other state divisions…
- Rating: 4.57 ⭐
- Source: https://www.thesprucepets.com/exotic-pet-laws-1238565