Despite being described as early as 1895 by Russian scientist Konstantin Tsiolkovsky (via NASA), materials strong enough to build a traditional space elevator do not yet exist or are prohibitive to make in the necessary quantities. With some modifications, however, an elevator may be possible. You can get the answers you need here. The best, most helpful solutions are offered without charge.
Is space elevator possible? – All useful solutions
A space elevator could be anchored…A space elevator could be anchored near a lunar pole, though not directly at it. A tramway could be used to bring the cable the rest of the way to the pole, with the Moon’s low gravity allowing much taller support towers and wider spans between them than would be possible on Earth.
Explore Is space elevator possible? with tags: How would a space elevator work, Is a space elevator possible Reddit, Space elevator Elon Musk, Space elevator progress, Space elevator material, Foundation space elevator, Space elevator location, Space elevator NASA
Top information about Is space elevator possible?
A space elevator is possible with today's technology …
- Summary: A space elevator is possible with today’s technology, researchers say (we just need to dangle it off the moon)Perhaps the biggest hurdle to humankind’s expansion throughout the solar system is the prohibitive cost of escaping Earth’s gravitational pull. So say Zephyr Penoyre from the University of Cambridge in the UK and Emily Sandford at Columbia University in New York.The problem is that rocket engines work by jettisoning mass in one direction to generate thrust for a spacecraft in the…
- Author: technologyreview.com
- Rating: 4.05 ⭐
- Source: https://www.technologyreview.com/2019/09/12/102622/a-space-elevator-is-possible-with-todays-technology-researchers-say-we-just-need-to-dangle/
Space elevator – Wikipedia
- Summary: Space elevator A space elevator is conceived as a cable fixed to the equator and reaching into space. A counterweight at the upper end keeps the center of mass well above geostationary orbit level. This produces enough upward centrifugal force from Earth’s rotation to fully counter the downward gravity, keeping the cable upright and taut. Climbers carry cargo up and down the cable. Space elevator in motion rotating with Earth, viewed from above North Pole. A free-flying…
- Author: en.wikipedia.org
- Rating: 3.26 ⭐
- Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_elevator
Is Space Elevator The Future Of Humanity?
A colossal elevator to space could be going up sooner than …
- Summary: A colossal elevator to space could be going up sooner than you ever imaginedFor more than half a century, rockets have been the only way to go to space. But in the not-too-distant future, we may have another option for sending up people and payloads: a colossal elevator extending from Earth’s surface up to an altitude of 22,000 miles, where geosynchronous satellites orbit.NASA says the basic concept of…
- Author: nbcnews.com
- Rating: 1.34 ⭐
- Source: https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science/colossal-elevator-space-could-be-going-sooner-you-ever-imagined-ncna915421
How a 'Space Elevator' Could Work on Earth or the Moon
- Summary: A giant elevator could connect Earth to space using current technology, experts say — here’s how that might work US Markets Loading… H M S This illustration by Pat Rawlings of a space elevator as viewed from the geostationary transfer station looking down the elevator toward Earth. NASA/MSFC A space elevator on Earth or the moon could make space travel…
- Author: businessinsider.com
- Rating: 4.09 ⭐
- Source: https://www.businessinsider.com/space-elevator-on-earth-moon-2019-9
What Happens If a Space Elevator Breaks – WIRED
- Summary: What Happens If a Space Elevator BreaksIn the first episode of the Foundation series on Apple TV, we see a terrorist try to destroy the space elevator used by the Galactic Empire. This seems like a great chance to talk about the physics of space elevators and to consider what would happen if one exploded. (Hint: It wouldn’t be good.)People like to put stuff beyond the Earth’s atmosphere: It allows us to have weather satellites, a space station, GPS…
- Author: wired.com
- Rating: 2.88 ⭐
- Source: https://www.wired.com/story/what-happens-if-a-space-elevator-breaks/
Can Engineers Succeed in Creating a Real Space Elevator?
- Summary: Engineers Are Creating a Real Space Elevator. Can They Succeed?Imagine a tether made out of super-tensile material that reaches from the surface of Earth to a station in geostationary orbit — aka. geosynchronous equatorial orbit (GEO). Transportation to and from orbit would be provided by high-speed vehicles instead of rockets, ensuring regular access to space for pennies on the dollar!This fabulous idea is known as a Space Elevator, a proposed…
- Author: interestingengineering.com
- Rating: 1.18 ⭐
- Source: https://interestingengineering.com/innovation/can-engineers-create-a-real-space-elevator
Can We Build an Elevator to Space? – Science ABC
- Summary: Can We Build an Elevator to Space? Yes, it is possible to build an elevator to space, but it would be an enormous undertaking that would require advances in technology that we don’t have yet. Over the last century, humans have done some rather amazing things. After the Wright brothers invented the first airplane in 1903, it took us only 66 years to send a man to the moon. Our…
- Author: scienceabc.com
- Rating: 4.88 ⭐
- Source: https://www.scienceabc.com/nature/universe/can-we-build-space-elevators.html