The content of this article is compiled by FAQGuide from many reputable information sources such as Reddit, Quora and Google. Now, instead of searching for answers on Reddit, Quora the hard way, you can get all the information you want in this thread.
What is the meaning of the word polyptoton? – All you need to know
What is polyptoton English?Definition of polyptoton : the rhetorical repetition of a word in a different case, inflection, or voice in the same sentence (as in Tennyson’s “my own heart’s heart, and ownest own, farewell”)
What does polyptoton mean in Latin?Other Definition In inflected languages polyptoton is the same word being repeated but appearing each time in a different case. (for example, “Iuppiter”, “Iovis”, “Iovi”, “Iovem”, “Iove” [in Latin being the nominative, genitive, dative, accusative, and ablative forms of “Iuppiter” (the god Jupiter), respectively]).
What is an example of polyptoton?Polyptoton is a figure of speech that involves the repetition of words derived from the same root (such as “blood” and “bleed”). For instance, the question, “Who shall watch the watchmen?” is an example of polyptoton because it includes both “watch” and “watchmen.”
What is the point of polyptoton?The Importance of Using Polyptoton. Polyptoton is a unique form of repetition used for emphasis of the repeated root. As the root word morphs throughout the sentence, polyptotonic phrases can be used to simply emphasize, add a musicality, or add an interesting form of poeticism to a phrase.
Part of a video titled How To Say Polyptoton – YouTubeyt:mbjMEEIIPFY
How do you say polyptoton?Writers use polysyndetons in writing to give the items equal power rhythm, and even enthusiasm. A great example of polysyndeton is the postal creed: ‘Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers.
Part of a video titled How To Say Homoioteleuton – YouTubeyt:PDnxNMMMQAc
What is Diacope in literature?Diacope is a rhetorical device that involves the repetition of words, separated by a small number of intervening words. It comes from the Greek word thiakhop, meaning ?cutting in two.? The number of words in between the repeated words of a diacope can vary, but it should be few enough to produce a rhetorical effect.
How do you use polysyndeton?The definition of polysyndeton is the repeated use of coordinating conjunctions to connect different items in a sentence. The repetition of conjunctions?and, but, or, nor?in close succession is a deliberate style choice to place emphasis on each listed word or phrase. The effect is often an excited or serious mood.
Why do we use polysyndeton?In business, academic, or creative writing, each word or group of words connected by the and is more emphasized than it would be without the and. The primary effect of polysyndeton is to slow readers down so they can take in all the information.
What are some examples of polysyndeton?Thus, an example of polysyndeton would be, ?I wore a sweater, and a hat, and a scarf, and a pair of boots, and mittens,? while an example of asyndeton would be, ?I wore a sweater. A hat. A scarf. Mittens.? The effect is noticeably different between these two figures of speech.
Top information about What is the meaning of the word polyptoton?
Polyptoton Definition & Meaning – Merriam-Webster
- Summary: Definition of POLYPTOTON pol·yp·to·ton | \ ˌpälə̇pˈtōˌtän \ plural polyptota\ -ōtə \ Definition of polyptoton : the rhetorical repetition of a word in a different case, inflection, or voice in the same sentence (as in Tennyson’s “my own heart’s heart, and ownest own, farewell”) History and Etymology for polyptoton Late Latin, from Greek polyptōton, neuter of…
- Rating: 3.86 ⭐
- Source: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/polyptoton
Polyptoton – Wikipedia
- Summary: Polyptoton Look up polyptoton in Wiktionary, the free dictionary. Polyptoton is the stylistic scheme in which words derived from the same root are repeated (such as “strong” and “strength”). A related stylistic device is antanaclasis, in which the same word is repeated, but each time with a different sense. Another related term is figura etymologica. Other Definition In inflected languages polyptoton is the same…
- Rating: 1.65 ⭐
- Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyptoton
Polyptoton: Definition and Examples | LiteraryTerms.net
- Summary: Polyptoton: Definition and Examples | LiteraryTerms.net I. What is Polyptoton? This article is enjoyable to read when read by those who enjoy literary terms. Polyptoton is the repetition of a root word in a variety of ways, such as the words “enjoy” and “enjoyable,” and the present and past forms of the word “read” in the opening sentence. The…
- Rating: 1.08 ⭐
- Source: https://literaryterms.net/polyptoton/
Polyptoton – Definition and Examples – LitCharts
- Summary: LitCharts Polyptoton Definition What is polyptoton? Here’s a quick and simple definition: Polyptoton is a figure of speech that involves the repetition of words derived from the same root (such as “blood” and “bleed”). For instance, the question, “Who shall watch the watchmen?” is an example of polyptoton because it…
- Rating: 3.45 ⭐
- Source: https://www.litcharts.com/literary-devices-and-terms/polyptoton
polyptoton – Wiktionary
- Summary: polyptoton – Wiktionary English Etymology Via Latin, from Ancient Greek πολύπτωτον (polúptōton), neuter of πολύπτωτος (polúptōtos, “having many cases”), from πολύς (polús, “many”) + πίπτω (píptō, “I fall”). Pronunciation (US) IPA(key): /ˌpɑ.ləpˈtoʊ.tɑn/ Noun polyptoton (countable and uncountable, plural polyptota or polyptotons) Examples (rhetoric) William Shakespeare, Richard II (c. 1595) With eager feeding food doth choke the feeder. (rhetoric) A stylistic scheme in which words from the same root are…
- Rating: 3.83 ⭐
- Source: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/polyptoton
Definition and Examples of Polyptoton – Literary Devices
- Summary: Polyptoton – Definition and Examples of PolyptotonDefinition of PolyptotonPolyptoton is a stylistic device that is a rhetorical repetition of the same root word. However, each time the word is repeated in a different way, such as the words luppiter, lovi, lovis, and lovem are derived from the root word “love.”Features of PolyptotonPolyptoton is the use of excessive words instead of shorter expressions. It…
- Rating: 1.22 ⭐
- Source: https://literarydevices.net/polyptoton/
What does polyptoton mean? – YourDictionary
- Summary: Polyptoton Definitions | What does polyptoton mean? Via Latin, from Ancient Greek πολύπτωτον (poluptōton), neuter of πολύπτωτος (poluptōtos, “having many cases”), from πολύς (polus, “many”) + πίπτω (piptō, “I fall”). From Wiktionary
- Rating: 1.62 ⭐
- Source: https://www.yourdictionary.com/polyptoton
What does polyptoton mean? – Definitions.net
- Summary: What does polyptoton mean? Princeton’s WordNet(0.00 / 0 votes)Rate this definition:polyptotonnounrepetition of a word in a different case or inflection in the same sentence”My own heart’s heart”Wiktionary(3.00 / 1 vote)Rate this definition:polyptotonnounA stylistic scheme in which words from the same root are used together, or a word is repeated in a different inflection or case.Etymology: Via, from πολύπτωτον,…
- Rating: 2.48 ⭐
- Source: https://www.definitions.net/definition/polyptoton