lacking alertness or energy; torpid: comatose from lack of sleep.
Below is a collection of questions with topics related to the question you are looking for. It could be able to help you in some way. Now check!
When something is comatose? – All you need to know
What does going comatose mean?Definition of comatose 1 : of, resembling, or affected with coma The patient lay comatose, sustained by respirators. 2 : characterized by lethargic inertness : torpid a comatose economy Broadway was theatrically comatose that summer.
Does comatose mean coma?comatose Add to list Share. Being comatose is being in a coma, unconscious and unable to communicate, often for long periods of time. A bad illness or unexpected accident or injury ? especially to the head ? can make you comatose and trapped inside a body that isn’t working.
How do you use the word comatose?A person who is comatose is in a coma. The right side of my brain had been so severely bruised that I was comatose for a month. A person who is comatose is in a deep sleep, usually because they are tired or have drunk too much alcohol. Grandpa lies comatose on the sofa.
What is the synonym of comatose?In this page you can discover 17 synonyms, antonyms, idiomatic expressions, and related words for comatose, like: out cold, listless, torpid, drowsy, lethargic, insensible, unconscious, drugged, alert, awake and semi-conscious.
Can you recover from comatose?Complications. Although many people gradually recover from a coma, others enter a vegetative state or die. Some people who recover from a coma end up with major or minor disabilities. Complications can develop during a coma, including pressure sores, urinary tract infections, blood clots in the legs and other problems.
Can coma patients hear?Comatose patients do not seem to hear or respond. Speaking may not affect their clinical outcome; time spent with them takes time away from other, more “viable” patients. Comatose patients may, however, hear; many have normal brain-stem auditory evoked responses and normal physiologic responses to auditory stimuli.
Can a comatose person survive?Some people will make a full recovery and be completely unaffected by the coma. Others will have disabilities caused by the damage to their brain. They may need physiotherapy, occupational therapy and psychological assessment and support during a period of rehabilitation, and may need care for the rest of their lives.
What is the difference between coma and unresponsive?Vegetative state (also known as unresponsive wakefulness syndrome) is when a person is awake, but shows no signs of awareness. This is different to a coma, in which the patient is completely unconscious.
What does comatose feel like?People in a coma are completely unresponsive. They do not move, do not react to light or sound and cannot feel pain. Their eyes are closed. The brain responds to extreme trauma by effectively ‘shutting down’.
What is the opposite of comatose?Our site contains antonyms of comatose in 3 different contexts. We have listed all the opposite words for comatose alphabetically. alert. active. all ears.
Can person in coma hear you?Can Your Loved One Hear You? During a coma, the individual is unconscious, meaning they are unable to respond to any sounds. However, the brain may still be able to pick up on sounds from loved ones.
How long can a coma last?A coma rarely lasts more than 2 to 4 weeks. Some patients may regain a degree of awareness after persistent vegetative state. Others may remain in that state for years or even decades. The most common cause of death for someone in a persistent vegetative state is infection, such as pneumonia.
What’s the difference between catatonic and comatose?The state of catatonia is conscious and has neural reflexes. Also, the patient’s pupils remain unchanged. However, coma is the loss of consciousness with nerve reflex. Patients may become unresponsive or lose their ability to respond to external stimulation, and the patient’s pupils may have variable changes.
Why do we get unconscious?Unconsciousness can be caused by nearly any major illness or injury. It can also be caused by substance (drug) and alcohol use. Choking on an object can result in unconsciousness as well. Brief unconsciousness (or fainting) is often a result from dehydration, low blood sugar, or temporary low blood pressure.
What part of the brain is damaged in a coma?Coma is caused by dysfunction of the reticular activating system (RAS) in the brain stem or both cerebral hemispheres.
What level of consciousness is the most serious?A coma is the most severe level of consciousness impairment.
What happens to the brain during unconsciousness??We found that during unconsciousness, disrupted connectivity in the brain and greater modularity are creating an environment that is inhospitable to the kind of efficient information transfer that is required for consciousness.?
Explore When something is comatose? with tags: Comatose state meaning, Comatose patient meaning, Comatose symptoms, Comatose lyrics, Comatose in a sentence, How long does comatose last, How to pronounce comatose, Comatose past tense
Great posts about When something is comatose?
Comatose – Definition, Meaning & Synonyms – Vocabulary.com
- Summary: Comatose – Definition, Meaning & Synonyms Being comatose is being in a coma, unconscious and unable to communicate, often for long periods of time. A bad illness or unexpected accident or injury — especially to the head — can make you comatose and trapped inside a body that isn’t working. Comatose comes from the Greek kōma, “deep sleep.” When you’re in a deep sleep, your body is still and you…
- Rating: 2.92 ⭐
- Source: https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/comatose
Comatose Definition, Meaning & Synonyms | Vocabulary.com
- Summary: The World’s Fastest Dictionary | Vocabulary.com SKIP TO CONTENT comatose in a state of deep and usually prolonged unconsciousness commodious large and roomy dogmatic pertaining to a code of beliefs accepted as authoritative kameez a long tunic worn by people from South Asia dogmatise speak dogmatically comate bearing a coma Keats Englishman and romantic poet (1795-1821) dogmatize state as a dogma Comtism Auguste…
- Rating: 1.77 ⭐
- Source: https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/komatsu
Comatose Definition & Meaning – Merriam-Webster
- Summary: Definition of COMATOSE Examples of comatose in a Sentence She lay in a comatose state. the city’s downtown has been comatose for years Recent Examples on the Web An elite runner is used to handling pain, and being semi-comatose all day seemed much worse. — Roger Robinson, Outside Online, 29 May 2020 The upshot was supposed to be thousands of mini-stimuli injected into a near-comatose consumer economy, raising prices and…
- Rating: 2.54 ⭐
- Source: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/comatose
Coma – Symptoms and causes – Mayo Clinic
- Summary: Coma – Symptoms and causes OverviewComa is a state of prolonged unconsciousness that can be caused by a variety of problems — traumatic head injury, stroke, brain tumor, drug or alcohol intoxication, or even an underlying illness, such as diabetes or an infection. Coma is a medical emergency. Swift action is needed to preserve life and brain function. Doctors normally order a…
- Rating: 4.66 ⭐
- Source: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coma/symptoms-causes/syc-20371099
COMATOSE | definition in the Cambridge English Dictionary
- Summary: comatose Meaning of comatose in English Examples of comatose comatose Maybe it’s just a little comatose at times, judging from some of its worst years. Comatose and severely brain injured, he was transported by helicopter to the trauma center. Episodes often last 24 to 48 hours, sometimes even longer, and patients can seem almost comatose during the most intense phase….
- Rating: 2.96 ⭐
- Source: https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/comatose
comatose Definitions and Synonyms – Macmillan Dictionary
- Summary: COMATOSE (adjective) American English definition and synonyms | Macmillan Dictionary Collocations Thesaurus Blog BuzzWord Open Dictionary Resources Quizzes Videos Search BuzzWord Open Dictionary Resources Quizzes Videos Collocations Thesaurus Blog Search IDMcomatose Definitions and SynonymsadjectiveUS /ˈkoʊməˌtoʊs/ DEFINITIONS2 1medicalunconscious or in a comaSynonyms and related wordsAsleep and unconsciousasleepunconsciouscomatose… Explore Thesaurus 2humorousin a very deep sleepSynonyms and related wordsAsleep and unconsciousasleepunconsciouscomatose… Explore Thesaurus American definition and synonyms of comatose from the online English dictionary from…
- Rating: 3.87 ⭐
- Source: https://www.macmillandictionary.com/us/dictionary/american/comatose
definition of comatose by Medical dictionary
- Summary: comatose comatose [ko´mah-tōs] pertaining to or affected with coma.Miller-Keane Encyclopedia and Dictionary of Medicine, Nursing, and Allied Health, Seventh Edition. © 2003 by Saunders, an imprint of Elsevier, Inc. All rights reserved.co·ma·tose (kō’mă-tōs), Avoid the illegitimate form comatosed.In a state of coma.Farlex Partner Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012comatose (kō′mə-tōs′, kŏm′ə-)adj.1. Of, relating to, or affected with coma; unconscious.2. Marked by lethargy; torpid.co′ma·tose′ly adv.The American Heritage® Medical…
- Rating: 4.57 ⭐
- Source: https://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/comatose
Coma: Causes, diagnosis, treatment, and outlook
- Summary: Coma: Causes, diagnosis, treatment, and outlookA coma is a deep state of unconsciousness that has many possible causes. A doctor may sometimes need to induce a coma to protect a person from severe complications or pain. This may be necessary if a person has a serious medical condition, infection, or a traumatic accident, such as a blow to the head.Similar to during sleep, a person in a coma…
- Rating: 4.71 ⭐
- Source: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/173655
Best 9 Definitions of Comatose – YourDictionary
- Summary: Comatose Definitions | What does comatose mean?HomeDictionary Meanings Comatose Comatose definition Meanings Synonyms Sentences The definition of comatose is when a person or animal is unconscious. An example of comatose is when someone is unconscious after a sharp blow to the head. adjective Of, relating to, or affected with coma; unconscious. adjective Marked by lethargy; torpid. adjective Of, like, or in a coma or stupor. adjective As if in…
- Rating: 1.28 ⭐
- Source: https://www.yourdictionary.com/comatose
What Is a Coma? (for Kids) – Nemours KidsHealth
- Summary: What Is a Coma? (for Kids) What do you think about when you hear the word coma? A coma (say: KO-muh) can be difficult to understand, especially because people sometimes jokingly use the word coma to describe people who are sleeping deeply or not paying attention. But a coma is a serious condition that has nothing to do with sleep. What…
- Rating: 4.15 ⭐
- Source: https://kidshealth.org/en/kids/coma.html
Coma – Illnesses & conditions | NHS inform
- Summary: Coma A coma is a state of unconsciousness where a person is unresponsive and cannot be woken. It can result from injury to the brain, such as a severe head injury or stroke. A coma can also be caused by severe alcohol poisoning or a brain infection (encephalitis). People with diabetes could fall into a coma if their blood glucose levels suddenly became very low (hypoglycaemia) or very high (hyperglycaemia). What is a coma?…
- Rating: 4.65 ⭐
- Source: https://www.nhsinform.scot/illnesses-and-conditions/brain-nerves-and-spinal-cord/coma
Coma – NHS
- Summary: Coma A coma is a state of unconsciousness where a person is unresponsive and cannot be woken.It can result from injury to the brain, such as a severe head injury or stroke. A coma can also be caused by severe alcohol poisoning or a brain infection (encephalitis).People with diabetes could fall into a coma if their blood glucose levels suddenly became very low (hypoglycaemia) or very high…
- Rating: 4.97 ⭐
- Source: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coma/
How Can We Tell If a Comatose Patient Is Conscious?
- Summary: How Can We Tell If a Comatose Patient Is Conscious?Steven Laureys greets me with a smile as I enter his office overlooking the hills of Liège. Although his phone rings constantly, he takes the time to talk to me about the fine points of what consciousness is and how to identify it in patients who seem to lack it. Doctors from all over Europe send their apparently…
- Rating: 4.39 ⭐
- Source: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-can-we-tell-if-a-comatose-patient-is-conscious/