Use “nor” before the second or farther of two alternatives when “neither” introduces the first. Example: Neither my mother nor I understand these directions. Pro tip: You can also use “nor” with a negative first clause or a sentence including “not.” You can get the answers you need here. The best, most helpful solutions are offered without charge.
Where to use nor? – All helpful answers
What is the example of NOR?She’s not the best student in her class, (but) nor is she the worst. He didn’t quit his job, nor was he fired. He is not going to the meeting (and) nor am I.
Can I begin a sentence with nor??Nor? doesn’t necessarily have to appear in a sentence with the word ?neither.? ?Nor? can start a sentence. For example, if you’ve just mentioned that you don’t usually wake up at 6 a.m. and you want to continue being negative, you can start another sentence with ?nor?: ‘Nor do I like to wake up at 5 a.m.’
How do you use nor without neither??Nor? can be used without its general partner ?neither? if it is at the beginning of a sentence. It can also be used without neither when creating a list of negative options.
How do you use not and nor in a sentence?Nor can be a conjunction or a noun.
What type of word is nor?Neither/nor are used together to state 2 or more things are untrue or won’t happen. For example: Neither the blue one nor the red one is available in size 4. I will neither call you nor send you a message before midday.
What is neither nor example?never/nor would be a double negative, which English hates. nor is used only in a few contexts: neither/nor. never/nor just doesn’t work. I did not do this, nor did I do that.
What kind of word is nor?You use nor after a negative statement in order to introduce another negative statement which adds information to the previous one. Cooking quickly doesn’t mean sacrificing flavour. Nor does fast food have to be junk food.
Explore Where to use nor? with tags: Neither nor, Not nor, No nor, How to use nor in a compound sentence, How to use neither in a sentence, NOR vs or logic, Use but in a sentence, Not or
Excellent information on Where to use nor?
When to Use 'Nor' – Quick and Dirty Tips ™
- Summary: When to Use ‘Nor’ – Quick and Dirty Tips ™ Today we’re going to get a bit negative by looking at the various times you can use the word “nor.” ‘Nor’ with ‘Neither’ Everybody knows that “neither” and “nor” are bosom buddies. They require balance. A “nor” usually follows a “neither” when they’re used in the same sentence (1). For example, you might say, “I like neither hot dogs nor mustard.” You may also use “nor” if you’re talking…
- Rating: 3.12 ⭐
- Source: https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/articles/when-to-use-nor/
3 Ways to Use Nor – wikiHow
- Summary: 3 Ways to Use Nor – wikiHow Download Article Download Article Conjunctions like “nor” and “or” give you more options for joining two sentences or creating lists. However, it’s often hard to determine which one to use. While either/or are positive, the word “nor” is a negative conjunction, which means it’s telling the reader something is missing. Typically, you’d use “nor” in a…
- Rating: 3.7 ⭐
- Source: https://www.wikihow.com/Use-Nor
When to Use 'Nor' | Mental Floss
- Summary: When to Use ‘Nor’ | Mental FlossBy Bonnie Mills, Quick and Dirty TipsEverybody knows that neither and nor are bosom buddies. They require balance. A nor usually follows a neither when they’re used in the same sentence (1). For example, you might say, “I like neither hot dogs nor mustard.” You may also use nor if you’re talking about more than two items, but you must repeat nor after each element (2). So…
- Rating: 1.45 ⭐
- Source: https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/639689/when-use-nor
Nor vs or – Common Mistakes and Confusing Words in English
- Summary: Nor vs or – Common Mistakes and Confusing Words in English If you want the dictionary definition, just double click on any word. nor vs or nor (conjunction) nor is always used in the negative, usually before the second or last of a set of negative possibilities, we use it after ‘neither’. For example:- He drinks neither wine nor beer. or (conjunction) or is used to connect different possibilities. For example:- Is it Tuesday or Wednesday…
- Rating: 1.08 ⭐
- Source: https://www.learnenglish.de/mistakes/norvsor.html
Using Nor Properly
- Summary: Using Nor Properly – The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation Those who enjoy and study grammar often do so because they are inspired by the clear and eloquent expression of thoughts. They understand that when we open our mouths, put pen to paper, or begin to type, our minds are on parade. Precision in writing and speech involves the steady acquisition of grammatical details, or what we might also think of…
- Rating: 1.46 ⭐
- Source: https://www.grammarbook.com/blog/effective-writing/using-nor-properly/
When to Use Nor (3 Useful Fixes for Writers)
- Summary: When to Use Nor (3 Useful Fixes for Writers) Knowing when to use nor in your writing might not seem too important, but it’s a subtlety worth studying. Writing in the English language can be a bit of a challenge even if English is your first language. There are so many grammatical rules that fluctuate depending on the context of a sentence, such as “I” before “e” except…
- Rating: 4.98 ⭐
- Source: https://www.thebookdesigner.com/when-to-use-nor/
How to Properly Use the Word “Nor” in a Sentence
- Summary: How to Properly Use the Word “Nor” in a Sentence Conjunctions are words used to bring together two distinct clauses or thoughts. However, using these words to bridge two statements could be at times confusing – particularly if the connecting word is not as common or straightforward as “but” or “and”. In other words, many writers stumble when using the word “nor” to link sentences….
- Rating: 3.87 ⭐
- Source: https://thecontentauthority.com/blog/how-to-use-nor-in-a-sentence
The best 500 nor sentence examples
- Summary: Use nor in a sentenceIt was neither good nor bad in her mind back then – it simply was. We cannot understand it nor the reason of it. By the way, neither Alex nor I drink. The problem is, you neither asked nor listened. The virus cannot live in immunized individuals, nor in nature. His tone was neither harsh nor teasing….
- Rating: 3.55 ⭐
- Source: https://sentence.yourdictionary.com/nor
Neither Nor Usage & Examples – Video & Lesson Transcript
- Summary: Neither Nor Usage & Examples | Using Neither & Nor in Sentences – Video & Lesson Transcript | Study.com Hedieh Najafi, Kerry Gray, Marc Mancinelli Author Hedieh Najafi Hedi Najafi earned her Ph.D. in Educational Leadership and Policy Studies from Arizona State University. She also has an M.A. and B.A. in English Language and Literature. In addition, she has several certificates and certifications such as Tesol Ontario, Laubach Literacy of Canada Tutor Certificate, and…
- Rating: 3.62 ⭐
- Source: https://study.com/learn/lesson/neither-nor-usage-examples-sentences.html
How to use NOR and OR/ Avoid mistakes made by Marina …
Using “nor” in a list without “neither” – English Stack Exchange
- Summary: Using “nor” in a list without “neither” Although the classic rule is to use neither and nor together, Grammar Girl writes: “Nor” doesn’t necessarily have to appear in a sentence with the word “neither.” “Nor” can start a sentence. For example, if you’ve just mentioned that you don’t usually wake up at 6 a.m. and you want to continue being negative, you…
- Rating: 2.13 ⭐
- Source: https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/53728/using-nor-in-a-list-without-neither
Neither, neither … nor and not … either – Cambridge Dictionary
- Summary: Neither, neither … nor and not … eitherNeither as a determinerNeither allows us to make a negative statement about two people or things at the same time. Neither goes before singular countable nouns. We use it to say ‘not either’ in relation to two things. Neither can be pronounced /ˈnaɪðə(r)/ or /ˈni:ðə(r)/.Neither parent came to meet the teacher. (The mother didn’t come and the father didn’t come.)Neither dress fitted her….
- Rating: 4.78 ⭐
- Source: https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/grammar/british-grammar/neither-neither-nor-and-not-either_2
Either, Or and Neither, Nor: How to Use Them (With Examples)
- Summary: Either, Or and Neither, Nor: How to Use Them (With Examples) Do you have difficulty using either/or and neither/nor? If so, don’t worry – you’re not alone: these two pairs of words can be tricky to use, and many people find them difficult to use when they learn English online. This article will explain how to use these words correctly, along with the relevant English grammar rules and some…
- Rating: 4.11 ⭐
- Source: https://preply.com/en/blog/using-either-neither-nor-and-or-in-english/